As Maine Goes . . . .
Damn. The Question 1 fight in Maine is turning out to be a real squeaker. So I’m posting a link here to the Courage Campaign Equality Program.
There are ways to help campaign to save same sex marriage in Maine and show that there are places where a majority of the people understand the need to defend the rights of others as well as their own rights. To borrow from John Donne:
All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated…As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness….No man is an island, entire of itself…any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
So too the rights of all. I am straight and happily married. No one in my immediate family is a same sex relationship or lives in Maine. I have no personal stake in the outcome.
Except that I am not truly free unless all are free. Any person’s oppression diminishes me, because I am involved in humankind. And while I have no delusion that I shall see the end of injustice, cruelty or oppression until the End of Days that does not absolve me of my duty to do all I can, when I can, how I can.
Stay tuned . . . .
- What the Eff, FAA? My Insanely Long Field Guide to the FAA/FCC 5G C-Band Fight. by Harold November 8, 2021 5G has been accused a lot of ridiculous things -- causing Covid, causing cancer, causing autism. This article provides a list of 9 separate conspiracy…
- Get Ready for the 2022 Season of Spectrum Wars! by Harold March 15, 2022 It isn't the sultry Regency drama of Bridgerton, the action psycho-drama of Moon Knight, or even the, um, whatever the heck Human Resources is. But…
- We Can #ConnectTribes to Broadband, and YOU Can Help! by Harold July 22, 2020 One of the unusual plot twists of this season on Spectrum Wars has been my agreeing more and more with FCC Chairman Ajit Pai. For…
- Breaking Down and Taking Down Trump's Executive Order Spanking Social Media. by Harold June 4, 2020 (A substantially similar version of this appeared first on the blog of my employer, Public Knowledge) It's hard to believe Trump issued this stupid Executive…
- S. Korea "Sender Pays" Is a Warning, Not a Model, or Why (Almost) Everyone Keeps Telling the EU This Is a VERY Bad Idea. by Harold October 14, 2022 Economist/NYT opinion writer Paul Krugman coined the term "Zombie idea" to describe an idea that, despite being repeatedly refuted with evidence, keeps coming back. Not…
- Does SCOTUS EPA Case Impact Net Neutrality? Here’s Why I Say No. by Harold July 1, 2022 For most people, the Supreme Court’s decision in West Virginia v. Environmental Protection Agency was about environmental policy and what the Environmental Protection Agency can…
I’m happy to see this post from you. I agree with your position.
I too am a straight & happily married man with nobody in my immediate family in a same-sex relationship, and I don’t live in Maine.
But I think it’s important for all of us to show our support for our brothers & sisters seeking marriage equality in Maine.
My wife’s and my best friends are a married (in MA) lesbian couple. They are the sweetest, most devoted couple I know. It breaks my heart that some people are intent on casting them asunder.