Internet radio in immanent danger?
According to this story (via slashdot), some regulatory board that I’ve never heard of has handed down some ruling which, if it stands, could be the death knell of internet radio (or a t least of internet radio that originates in countries that adhere to this regime?).
As I type this I’m listening to the fantastic (OpenLaszlo application)Pandora — an internet radio station that astoundingly accounts for more than 1% of all internet traffic (??? can this be so???). I also listen to a lot of college radio stations streaming on the net.
Is this mavevlous technology about to be taken away from us by the RIAA goons? I don’t pretend to understand the legal, political, or technical issues. An opinion from Mr. Feld is clearly in order. What’s the word, Harold? Should I be panicking?
- U.S. Actually Performed Worse During Covid Than Some Net Neutrality Countries, Not Better. by Harold April 8, 2021 Every time the net neutrality debate flares up, the ISP industry and its anti-net neutrality allies come up with some reason why leaving unfettered gatekeeper…
- S. Korea "Sender Pays" Is a Warning, Not a Model, or Why (Almost) Everyone Keeps Telling the EU This Is a VERY Bad Idea. by Harold October 14, 2022 Economist/NYT opinion writer Paul Krugman coined the term "Zombie idea" to describe an idea that, despite being repeatedly refuted with evidence, keeps coming back. Not…
- Get Ready for the 2022 Season of Spectrum Wars! by Harold March 15, 2022 It isn't the sultry Regency drama of Bridgerton, the action psycho-drama of Moon Knight, or even the, um, whatever the heck Human Resources is. But…
- Breaking Down and Taking Down Trump's Executive Order Spanking Social Media. by Harold June 4, 2020 (A substantially similar version of this appeared first on the blog of my employer, Public Knowledge) It's hard to believe Trump issued this stupid Executive…
- Does SCOTUS EPA Case Impact Net Neutrality? Here’s Why I Say No. by Harold July 1, 2022 For most people, the Supreme Court’s decision in West Virginia v. Environmental Protection Agency was about environmental policy and what the Environmental Protection Agency can…
- What the Eff, FAA? My Insanely Long Field Guide to the FAA/FCC 5G C-Band Fight. by Harold November 8, 2021 5G has been accused a lot of ridiculous things -- causing Covid, causing cancer, causing autism. This article provides a list of 9 separate conspiracy…
This makes me want to scream AIAE!
AIAE(TM) is, of course, the Asshole Industry Association of Everywhere(TM): a new trade organization I’ve formed. From now on all assholes owe our group 1 cent per hour. Initially. Asshole costs are rising, and our fee will increase over time.
Why? Because I said so. Go find your own idea. This one’s mine. Well, it’s the RIAA’s actually, but I’m certainly not going to pay them.
America is seeing a sharp increase in assholes. Politicians. Lawyers. My neighbor with the pruning shears. And of course, the RIAA. We expect the number of assholes worldwide to increase as more people “choose” to adopt our beliefs. I mean of course, America’s beliefs. Sure to produce assholes.
Don’t laugh! This is a serious problem! Many assholes traffic in filth that should be seen as obscene by decent people. Many are involved in crimes, or what would be criminal acts if our group has any say. And we will, I assure you.
Anyway, it’s important that we stop such behavior by forcing people to pay us. Our membership consists of those companies that profit from assholes, such as the media and weapons manufacturers. It takes a lot of money and considerable bad behavior to get even assholes to buy our members’ products! Unlike every other industry, our members simply don’t want to pay the ordinary costs of doing business, so we have no choice but to charge the assholes! After all this is capitalism. (Well, actually it’s communism, but who’s defining the terms here?) Anyway, why should the assholes get a free ride on our members’ hard-earned profits?
In addition, we also pay a nominal fee (e.g., a whole dollar) to the original creators of the asshole behavior. Unfortunately, many such creative people are part of the cultural underground, or at least not on the A-List and therefore not in our Blackberries(TM). So we cannot possibly be expected to track them down and pay them. But in principle, we support creativity, and reward it with the only thing that matters. An asshole surcharge.
Keep America Free! Support the AIAE(TM)! Turn in your neighbor!
An asshole tariff! No one can be an asshole without paying the AIAE! Send your checks c/o the Wetmachine paypal button! Do it now!
My very brief examination of this is that it’s fairly serious and has devestating impact on local community-based radio stations. They will basically need to stop streaming.